Happy Sensations

I dream of a happy place Because I am happy I stare off in the sky's blues I look into the stars of the night I bask in the light ...

ackeeeee and codfish....

I have been having a hankerin' for this for quite some time now.  I decided to treat myself since I have been doing relatively well with my fitness...sorta. Ackee and Codfish is a pretty expensive dish at Jamaican food places...so I don't get it often at all.  Then I thought, well if they can make it, so can I.  It can't be toooooo hard right?  Come to find out, it's not that hard at all!  So here is a recipe for Ackee and Codfish for those of you who wanna try it!

1/2 lb. Saltfish (usually preserved/salted cod)
1 dozen ackees (I will be using the canned stuff)
1 small onion, chopped
pinch of thyme
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small red sweet pepper , chopped
2-3 Tbs coconut or olive oil
  • Soak saltfish in water for a few hours to remove some of the salt, Rinse thoroughly
  • Clean the ackee. Remove the seeds and all traces of interior red pit from the ackees. Wash ackee fruits thoroughly (rinsing several times)
  • Place Ackee in pot of water and boil for 30 mins. Drain, cover, and put aside.* (since I am using the can, I am not sure about the boiling for 30 min...I guess it will say so on the back of the can)
  • Remove any bones from the fish.
  • In a small pot or frying pan, sauté chopped onions and sweet peppers.
  • Remove half of the fried onions and peppers
  • Add saltfish and the ackees.
  • Suatee together for 6-8 minutes.
  • Serve as a side dish, on toast, in a wrap, or over salad.
I hope this serves you well. At some point I will be trying this myself and I will let your know how it works out!
Ackee and Codfish with Fried Dumplings

 
*Dangers of not cooking Ackee properly include Jamaican Vomiting Sickness.....mmmm yum! No for real...look it up.

No comments