Happy Sensations

I dream of a happy place Because I am happy I stare off in the sky's blues I look into the stars of the night I bask in the light ...

For Shame MTA

I was recently able to watch something that really made me think even more about the general safety of myself and others when traveling on the Subway, Bus, or even just walking down the street.

To begin,  I would like to say that our transportation system is delicate. No matter how you spin it, we are living over a hollowed out shell of an island that consists of tunnels and metal and things that can go boom, bang, and pow. With that being said, I am very concerned when I see things like what I recently saw.

When getting off a subway car here in NY, you step onto a platform which is concrete. On the portion closests to the car, there is a yellow safety stip about a 2 feet or so wide that tells your eyes..."hey! Your body should move back some or risk falling in!" On the edge of the yellow stip that is at the edge of the platform by the opening of the car door, there is yet another strip. This is also yellow but much thinner. Now over time, this strip gets worn down, torn up, warped, and generally degraded. The responsible thing to do is when the strip has reached its end, you cut the offensive part, replace it with another strip and then seal it. Sounds good to me! No tripping when getting off and on the train. No things getting caught like sandals and little kiddies feet and laces.

What you DON'T do is fill it with some type of mix from a squeezy tube and then paint it with yellow paint.  Now if that's just until you get the strip and then you come back and fix it, fine...temporary fix. No problem.

Please do NOT do what I saw today.

Plop some more squeezy crap in the gap and walk away. Noy only that, but you plop some more squeezy crap in the gap where the paint looks 1) dirty and grimy leading me to believe that the previous "repair" was done some time ago and 2) looks like the previous "repair" was the same as this current "repair" judging by the hump that has developed up and down the edge of the friggin yellow stip and thinner strip along the entire platform to the point that you no longer even see the thinner strip in most places...

What the hell.

You charge us more money to ride the train so you can pump "colorless/odorless" gas into the tunnels so we know how to "best" navigate and prepare for a subway bio warfare attack, but can't afford a friggin plastic strip? So wait, I am trying to figure out if I should be more afraid of the terrorist attacks, or me falling to my death or tripping and possibly falling to my death or my kid's foot getting caught and then falling to their death on one of these (I am sure) hundreds of MTA patch jobs...

Gimme a break.

I they better be saving that money for the lawsuits.

I wish I was thinking and now in awe...or I would have taken a picture of the gray mess that was left behind.

Btw....be careful when getting off at the Borough Hall stop of the 2 or 3 going towards Manhattan...don't want ya to bust ya face in...smh

No comments